8 | Parasyte

Wednesday, October 28, 2015


Parasite. Just hearing the word alone makes my skin crawl. You know that when you hear the word, your immediate reaction would be is to "stay away from it." And that's right. People should stay from them as much as they can. But that doesn't always work, does it? And that's exactly what happened with the main protagonist in this movie. It was a dramatic movie, yet action packed and keeps you on your toes all throughout.

The movie is a film adaptation from the anime/manga of the same title. If you'd ask me, I'd say the movie was up to par with the anime. It was a really fun watch. The movie was amazing and the screams of my block mates while watching are solid proof of that. Everything was spot on. There were, however, some minor changes from the anime. But not necessarily ones that were huge enough to have changed the dramatic point of the movie and especially the plot itself.


Other than that, I love how the movie also pulled some heartstrings here and there. I don't want to give any spoilers. But there were some scenes that would either make your heart feel sad, or send a shiver down your spine. I also like how the movie goes into the details. But not too much that it would leave us bored because of too much information. The CG (visual effects) were impeccable! Instead of going for a realistic look for its aliens, Yamazaki chooses to use a cartoony and plastic look.  This is relatively common in Japanese manga adaptations, but for this movie the odd blend works surprisingly well. Going with a realistic look would have required a visual effects budget far beyond that which this movie could afford – and even then the results would still be execution-dependent.  So, fitting within the limited budget and delivering the top quality version of this cartoony style was the right choice.

Lastly, I would just like to commend them for staying true to the essence of the manga. I really enjoyed watching this because I've always loved the anime.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like me on Facebook

Flickr Images