7 | Ang Tatay Mong Kalbo

Thursday, October 15, 2015



Ang Tatay Mong Kalbo. A play that made me laugh all throughout! To be honest, I didn't expect that this film would make me laugh and wonder as much as I did. I came in there thinking "Let's just get this over with, I'm going to watch the movie and answer the home works/seat works that are about it." But I came out with a big smile on my face as that was how good the play was for me.

The play, indeed, was definitely from the theater of the absurd. The dialogues were nonsensical but there is that slight hint of deepness as if you know there's an underlying message to what the characters are saying. And after doing my research, I found out that the play was actually a loony parody with a climax which is an orgy of non-sequiturs. The characters weren't deep at all because the characters are shallow. Though in some ways, the shallowness makes them deep. Let's look at this way. They can be seen as a parody of your average everyday middle-class citizens. You can interpret their exaggerated generic actions as a comment on the generic actions of the middle class everywhere.

They also, in some ways, represent humanity. Their meaningless repetitive life, perhaps, represents the absurd idea that all of our lives are just as meaningless and repetitious. That's just a food for thought.

Ang Tatay Mong Kalbo is a parody of our conversations, of the so-called dramatic situations of our lives, and of how we humans just can't remain silent.... By the use of the banal and a repetition of the worn-out clichés, it generates an unusual, fresh atmosphere.

The Bald Soprano. Where the play was based on.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like me on Facebook

Flickr Images