16 | Understanding Plagiarism

Monday, November 30, 2015


Plagiarism is something that we all have done in the past. Even I can admit that I have done it in the past as well. But that doesn't mean that everyone should think it as a normal act in society. But what exactly is plagiarism? According to the internet, "plagiarism is an act of fraud. It involves both stealing someone else's work and lying about it afterward." So why is it that even the most honest of people commit such an act and think that it's fine?

I have a lot of good and kind friends that commit plagiarism even when they know that it's not a wise thing to do. One time I even caught my friend who's the "follow -the-rule book" kind of girl. She always follows authority - even when it was legal, she would still think twice about doing something that she thinks is against the rules. There was a time when we went into this empty classroom and she wouldn't go in because she thinks that we have to ask for permission first, even though there wasn't going to be any class in that room anymore. Yet still, it was fine for her to plagiarize.



Plagiarism can be dangerous to the one doing it. So I suggest to just avoid it by citing sources, or by simply letting your readers know that your words and sentences were only borrowed. I also know that plagiarism is a great concern to teachers because all they want is for their students to present a work that was actually done by them with their own efforts. It wasn't an issue back then, but now that the age of technology and the internet has come, it has now become one of the most aggravating issue.

For me, the reason as to why the students commit plagiarism though is because they simply have little time to do all of their assignments/projects. I myself am struggling really hard right now as I have 3 speeches to make and to memorize and all of them are to be presented on days near each other, and there I have 5 writing assignments, so naturally, the students are too tired and end up neglecting their other writing activities.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like me on Facebook

Flickr Images